By Lori Lite
A survey by KidsHealth found that 70% of kids said they wished they could get more sleep and 71% of kids said they felt sort of sleepy or very sleepy when it’s time to wake up for school. These fun bedtime tips for kids will give children what they want and create a little more downtime for mom and dad. It’s a win win for everyone!
Top 10 bedtime for kids fun tips you and your child will love!
- Serve up a mostly banana, banana split for an early evening snack. The high content of potassium, magnesium and serotonin found in bananas promote relaxation and earns you big points with the kids.
- Teach your child belly breathing with a story called Sea Otter Cove. This simple, self-calming technique decreases stress and insures a more restful sleep.
- Have a good laugh! Take turns telling jokes or reading a joke book together. Laughter is a great stress reducer and encourages happy dreams.
- Be creative! Paint a soothing dolphin on your child’s bedroom wall or hang a large photo of their favorite pet. It is comforting to fall asleep looking at a smiling face.
- Turn on your favorite relaxation music or try a CD designed to lull children to sleep while teaching them relaxation techniques. Indigo Dreams: Kid’s Relaxation Music is a kid favorite.
- Try an eye pillow. The gentle pressure is soothing and some are scented with calming lavender. It is a novelty for kids and it keeps their eyes closed just long enough to fall asleep.
- Change your child’s bed sheets and blanket to a calming shade of blue. Blue’s restful and peaceful qualities evoke images of tropical waters and clear skies.
- Create a kid spa by making a bubble bath and lighting candles instead of lights. Yes, even kids enjoy pampering themselves.
- Take your child outside to blow bubbles prior to bed. Imagine putting anything you are worried about into the bubble and watch it float away. The Indigo Dreams: Garden of Wellness CD has a bubble blowing story to reinforce this activity.
- Exchange foot rubs, back massages, or facials. You and your child will both benefit from this one!
Indigo Dreams shorter stories with relaxation techniques for younger child. Great for bedtime.
Indigo Ocean Dreams longer stories with relaxation techniques for older children. Bedtime winner.
Indigo Teen Dreams guided instructions with relaxation techniques for teens. Helps teens stop their brains for sleep.
Indigo Dreams: Adult Relaxation guided instructions with relaxation techniques for adults. Works on me!
Indigo Dreams: Garden of Wellness stories for all children includes bubble blowing technique to release anger for better sleep.
Indigo Dreams: 3 CD Set: All 3 children’s CDs: 3 Hours of stories, techniques & stories
Stress Free Kids founder Lori Lite has created a line of books and CDs designed to help children, teens, and adults decrease stress, anxiety, and anger. Ms. Lite’s books, CDs, and lesson plans are considered a resource for parents, psychologists, therapists, child life specialists, teachers, and yoga instructors. Lori is a certified children’s meditation facilitator and Sears’ Manage My Life parenting expert. For more information visit Stress Free Kids and for daily advice follow Lori on Twitter and Facebook.