by Lori Lite
Travel stress does not need to be part of your family road trip. With a little planning you can lower travel stress and build a lifetime of memories for everyone. Simple tips for parents and children make it easy to head off travel meltdowns and empower everyone to handle travel stress. Here are just a few of my favorite tips to make your road trip stress free.
Tips to lower travel stress
- Routine & Sleep - Make sure the children are well rested the night before. A well-rested child is a happier, calmer, well-balanced child.
- Relax & Laugh – Leave extra time for your trip. Make sure you have time to enjoy the journey. Stop for a picnic, stop to blow bubbles, or even fly a kite.
- Be Creative & Empower – Make sure to give each of your kids their own camera. It will empower them to document their journey and encourage creativity.
- Set Goals – Set a time goal for good behavior in the car. And when you reach your goal, be sure to celebrate. Everyone’s happy when you stop for an ice cream treat.
- Be Prepared – If you’re traveling with younger children, be sure to pack a potty. It will save you lots of stress.
- Breathe – And remember, when all else fails, you can always take a deep breath and say, “Ahhh.”
Bon voyage! Have a great trip!
Indigo Dreams CD Series introduces your family to breathing for relaxation.
Stress Free Kids founder Lori Lite has created a line of books and CDs designed to help children, teens, and adults decrease stress, anxiety, and anger. Ms. Lite’s books, CDs, and lesson plans are considered a resource for parents, psychologists, therapists, child life specialists, teachers, and yoga instructors. Lori is a certified children’s meditation facilitator and received national attention on ABC’s “Shark Tank.” For more information visit Stress Free Kids and for daily advice follow Lori on Twitter and Facebook.